For the Pie Crust:
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into small cubes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 6-8 tablespoons ice water
For the Apple Filling:
- 6 cups peeled and thinly sliced apples (use a mix of sweet and tart apples like Granny Smith and Honeycrisp)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
For the Egg Wash:
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk or water
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (for sprinkling on top)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, and sugar. Add the cold cubed butter and use a pastry cutter or your fingers to mix until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add the ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and mix until the dough comes together. Be careful not to overmix. Divide the dough into two equal portions, form each portion into a disc, wrap them in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, combine the sliced apples, granulated sugar, brown sugar, lemon juice, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and all-purpose flour. Mix until the apples are evenly coated with the sugar and spices. Let the mixture sit for about 15-20 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
Assembling the Pie:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Take one disc of the chilled pie crust out of the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes to soften slightly.
- On a floured surface, roll out the pie crust into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Carefully transfer the crust to a 9-inch pie dish and gently press it into the bottom and sides.
- Pour the apple filling into the pie crust and spread it out evenly. Dot the top with small pieces of unsalted butter.
- Roll out the second disc of chilled pie crust into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Place it over the apple filling. Trim any excess crust from the edges and crimp the edges to seal the pie.
Egg Wash and Baking:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and milk or water to make the egg wash.
- Brush the top of the pie with the egg wash. Sprinkle granulated sugar over the top for a slightly crunchy and sweet crust.
- Cut a few slits on the top crust to allow steam to escape during baking.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet (to catch any drips) and bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the apple filling is bubbly.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack for at least 2 hours before serving. This allows the filling to set and the flavors to intensify.
Enjoy your delicious homemade apple pie served warm or at room temperature, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream on top!
Credit: Healthy Juice